What is the Foundation?
If you have an idea for a project which will develop your skills and benefit others, the Leeds for Life Foundation could help with a cash grant to make it happen. With joint funding from the Alumni Footsteps Fund and the Santander Group, the Foundation has been set up to help fund projects that reflect the enthusiasm, creativity and initiative of our students. You might want to seek out new challenges, to experience new environments and cultures, and make a positive difference to the lives of other people. The Foundation would especially welcome applications from students initiating new projects.
Leeds for Life Foundation Grant (Friday 31st October 2014)
- Design your own Leeds for Life project for you or your group to develop your skills whilst also benefitting others.
- There are two calls for projects each year, at the beginning of term 1 and term 2.
- The deadline for the next round of applications is Friday 31st October 2014.
- For further information about the Leeds for Life Foundation, please email the Leeds for Life team
Travel Writing (Deadline midday 31st January 2015)
The Ede & Ravenscroft Prize, of £1,000, was instituted in 1990 by Ede & Ravenscroft Ltd, Robe Makers, in order to mark the occasion of their tercentenary. The prize is awarded for a report of student travel during the long vacation.
There are no application forms. Entries should be emailed to the Leeds for Life Foundation firstname.lastname@example.org in the Student Opportunity and Enhancement office no later than 31st January 2015.
All registered students at the end of the first or second year of a first degree programme (at the time of travel) are eligible to compete for the prize by submitting a report, not exceeding 5,000 words, on a project or journey undertaken during their summer vacation. Please note that intercalating students from the School of Medicine do not meet the eligibility criteria for this prize.
Each entry must include:
- The travel report, not exceeding 5,000 words
- A covering letter clearly stating that it is an original composition intended as an entry for the Ede & Ravenscroft Prize.
- Your name, student ID number, programme and year of study
- Your current address, together with an email address for correspondence.
The reports will be judged on their readability (that ability to engage the reader) and, if appropriate, on the use made of such visual materials as photographs, maps and graphs. Incorrect spelling and grammar will be viewed unfavourably.
In the event of there being two or more entries of equal merit, the prize will be divided. In years when no report of a sufficiently high standard is received, no award will be made. Prize-winning reports will be published on the Leeds for Life web site.
Through generous support from Santander there is a new grant fund for undergraduate and postgraduate students to contribute towards the costs of attending academic conferences or events that will enhance your knowledge and skills development.
Funding of up to 50% of the conference or event cost is available to a maximum of £400. To apply for the funding you must complete the Conference Awards application form and seek endorsement from your personal tutor.apply now