Discovery module overview
This module gives students the opportunity to study the major impacts of transport on energy, climate change and the environment at a local and global level. Students will learn about monitoring and modelling as well as other methods to assess transport impacts. They will have the chance to consider methods to reduce or eliminate the effects of transport as well as formal environmental impact assessment techniques and how these have been applied in practice to help make decisions about transport.
To provide students with an understanding of the main impacts of transport activities on energy, climate change and the environment, and ways in which those negative effects may be reduced.
- - Global and regional energy consumption in transport
- - Greenhouse gas emissions and climate change
- - Local air pollution
- - Noise and vibration
- - Landscape, townscape, ecology and blight
- - Safety
- - Severance and problems for pedestrians
- - Equity and environmental justice
- - Modelling impacts
- - Monitoring impacts
- - Assessing and evaluating impacts
- - Mitigating impacts
- - Sustainable transport
At the end of the module students should be able to assess:
- - The main impacts of transport on energy, climate change and the environment
- - How these impacts can be monitored and modelled
- - How these impacts can be mitigated
They should also be able to perform a basic analysis of the environmental impacts of a transport scheme, assess the relative importance of these impacts and suggest mitigation measures.
- - Interpretation of written material to understand the qualitative and quantitative nature of environmental impacts.
- - Appreciation of the relative maginitude of impacts and how they might be mitigated.
- - Use of a simple quantitative model, analysis and interpretation of the results.
- - Assimilation of material and interpretation to produce a clearly written report.
Assessment and teaching
|Assesment type||Notes||% of formal assesment|
|Essay||Group presentation, commentary and individual essay||50|
|Total percentages (Assessment Coursework)||50|
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||1 hr 0 mins||50|
|Total Percentage (Assesment Exams)||50|
20 hours preparation of exercises
30 hours background reading
30 hours revision
- - Feedback from tutorials/seminars
- - Feedback from coursework.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Class tests, exams and assessment||1||1||1|
|Private Study Hours||80|
|Total Contact Hours||21|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||101|